Monday, May 3, 2010

So very sleepy

This weekend, Will caught what Sully had. It was expected, but still not welcome. We now had two little snot balls on our hands, coughing, clinging to us to be held all of the time and whining horribly if we so much as had to go to the bathroom and put them down. 

So, Sunday, on our sixth day of horrible sleep, accepting the fact that we would have to move on with life with two miserable children, we put them in their car seats and headed to Target. (Had we not run out of diapers, I will not pretend that we would have been so brave as to venture into the world).

At a stoplight just before Target John said, “I have an idea.”

“What is it?” I asked. Maybe he had an idea about a vacation!

“Dog tags.”

“Dog tags?” This was not a vacation.

“Yeah. What if we bought each of the boys dog tags – they’d have our address and contact information on them, and then we’d leave them at Target, not for long, just long enough to get a nap. And then someone would return them!”

Hmmmm. Ummm. “I don’t think so, Sweetie,” I said, only it sounded more like, “I DON’T THINK SO SWEETIE,” because the boys were now whining so horribly loudly I was wishing we were in an airplane instead of a small car.

“Oh,” John said. And I saw the wheels turning as he tried to think of another idea that would garner us two hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Oh my. It’s hard to describe sleep deprivation to someone who hasn’t been a parent before, because they say things like, “One night – I crammed for a test all night long – no sleep!” And I think, “Oh you sweet little naïve thing. Stay in school.”

Don’t get me wrong. We wouldn’t trade our boys for anything in the world. We might trade a lot of things for sleep right now though. Like dinner. Or a car. Or our house.

All right. I have to go. I’m going to try and sleep for five minutes in my car.

Until tomorrow …

No comments:

Post a Comment