Monday, May 24, 2010

From daddy, to the boys.

Yesterday John had the following conversation with the boys, and it was so cute, I felt I needed to capture it.

The boys were stuffing themselves full of eggs and turkey sausage when John sat down to have a “man to man” talk with them. He pulled his chair right up to their high chairs as they sat, oblivious to his discussion, covering their face and hair with eggs.

It went something like this.

“Boys, you know I love you very much. But there are some things that have happened in the past 16 months that I just don’t know how I feel about.

I haven’t slept well in 16 months. I drink too much caffeine. I don’t work out enough, so I’m overweight (he isn’t by the way, but he thinks he is because he doesn’t make it to the gym very often any more). I’m going to be spending my afternoon watching a kiddie band.”

He shook his head lightly. The boys continued to watch him, a little more interested in the conversation, but not enough to stop grabbing hunks of egg with their hands, stuffing whatever they could grab in their mouth.

“I eat way too much frozen pizza, and dinner is at 9:00 now, when we finally get you both to bed. I don’t eat any fruits and vegetables, and thus, I need a little more fiber in my diet if you know what I mean. I have two hobbies – hunting and golf – and I don’t have enough time to really do either anymore.”

John sighed and looked at both boys. They were now caked in egg and bits of sausage had escaped their bibs and sat on their shoulders – Sully – as usual, had egg on his eyebrows and a little on his earlobes.

“But I love you both very, very much.”

I guess that’s what parenthood is in the end. Sacrifice. Late, and sometimes, non-existent meals. Very little sleep.

And lots, and lots, of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment