Thursday, May 6, 2010

Love, Life, and Doritos

I love surprises. I just wasn’t expecting this one. Well, I guess that’s what makes a surprise. But this was the surprise of a lifetime.

Last night, when I got home, John told me he needed to “borrow” the boys because they had a surprise for me. I started eating Doritos. It’s not that I wasn’t excited, it’s just that I love surprises, and I love Doritos – so why not have two of my favorite things in one moment? Plus, I thought this was going to be an early Mother’s Day gift. Had I known what was really about to happen, I think I would have at least combed my hair. Or wiped the Dorito crumbs from the corner of my mouth.

A few minutes later, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Heavy footsteps. A man carrying two 25-pound children footsteps. And then I heard them stop just as they entered the kitchen. And I slowly peeked around the refrigerator to see John, down on one knee (see, before now, there wasn’t an official proposal – just us knowing we wanted to get married this year and get a move on planning).

So, there was John, on one knee, with Sully on his right and Will on his left. Sully and Will were both wearing over-sized white T-shirts, Sully’s said: “Momma will you” and Will’s “marry Daddy?”

And I started crying.

And I hugged John with my Dorito breath and tears rubbing against his shirt and John smiled.

And then he said, “I have to go put the gate up.” It would have been a big downer if one of our children had taken a tumble down the stairs after this momentous event.

And then I laughed.

And then I hugged both my children and gave them kisses and they trotted around the kitchen in their over-sized T-shirts knowing they were the center of attention and thinking they were pretty cool stuff.

And then I was engaged.

Officially.

Sweetie, thank you so much for knowing that the most special proposal would be to involve the two biggest (literally) symbols of our love. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for loving me even though I’m crazy.

I love you. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Congrats! I'm so excited for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Debbie! We'll probably need some engagement photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete