Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day 2010


Okay, so I was going to write about how we learned we were having Will and Sully today, but actually, Sunday was the perfect Mother’s Day and a really good illustration of my children, so I decided to write about my 2010 Mother’s Day instead.
First, the boys bought me a dozen roses that were all different colors which was absolutely perfect, because my boys’ personalities are all sorts of colors (see below).
John and I decided to take the boys to the zoo for Mother’s Day and I couldn’t imagine a better day – I love when the boys get to discover new things and this was the perfect opportunity for Will, who as you may know by now will hug any animal he can get his arms around, to meet some new, furry friends.
When we got to the zoo one of our first stops was the sea lion swimming area. One sea lion in particular was excited to see the boys and started barking at them. Will has been learning to growl like a lion, and I guess he thought the sea lion looked like a lion (we’re still working on our animals) and he started growling at the sea lion every time it would bark.
Sea Lion: Bark! Bark!
Will: GRRRRRRrrrrrrrr.
Sea Lion: Bark! Bark!
Will: GRRRRRRrrrrrrr.
And so it went until we were a good 50 yards away from the sea lions.
We turned to head into the Great Cat section of the zoo and upon seeing the lion Will said, “Cat! Cat!”
So I guess some of our animal identification is working. It’s just that it was a really, really, big cat.
Next, we went to the petting zoo. I propped Sully up on my hip to feed a llama and he giggled as its fur rubbed against his hand, and then, I guess I must have gotten distracted feeding the llama myself, because next thing I knew, I turned around and Sully was chewing on a goat food pebble.
“Sully, eww – no!” I said and pulled it out of his mouth.
And John shook his head.
We went to get the boys a snack and there were a few ducks who had wandered over from the pond. Fat ducks. Ducks who must come to visit the zoo snack bar quite a bit. Sully was in love. He was not interested in eating his snack, he would crane his neck to see which way the duck was going and finally, I plopped him on the ground hoping he didn’t take off after them and scare them away, but instead, he walked over to them slowly and said, “Sit. Sit. Sit.” pointing his finger at them. It’s his favorite word – apparently it can mean a lot of things – “Duck. I want more food. What is this?”
Will stood next to his brother completely intrigued by the duck as well, holding part of his pretzel in his right hand. One of the ducks came right over and took a bite of his pretzel and Will tilted his head in awe.
And then he tried to eat what was left of his pretzel.
“Will – no! Eeew.”
Sigh.
I threw the pretzel on the ground and we plopped the boys in the stroller to head to our next adventure.
Where Sully tried to climb in the fish tank.
Until tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment