Monday, April 26, 2010

You're getting very sleepy ... or not

Disclaimer: I'm getting a head cold so this may, or may not, make sense. You might want to drink a few beers and then read it.

John was out of town this weekend taking a much-needed guy's weekend in South Dakota with his buddies. I don't know why, but I don't sleep well when he's gone. It is not because I miss what he calls his "gentle purr" (this is actually a snore). But the weather was fairly bad with thunderstorms, etc. and I kept waking up, thinking "what if I don't hear a tornado warning?" or "did I leave the stove on?" or "what if the boys rolled out from under their blankets and they're cold?"

Normally I don't worry about these things, because John follows me around the house fully aware that I constantly forget to do things like turn the stove off or water a plant or clean out the lint trap. So, when he's gone, the full responsibility of being a parent falls on my shoulders and I feel incredibly inadequate.

To sum it up though, I just want to say to all of you single parents, in moments like this, when I have more than 12 hours alone with my children, I realize how amazing you must be. And how I wish that all of you would get a cake every day and a vacation every weekend because you really, really deserve it.

Okay, back to our weird household. John came back home last night and said "I missed you guys."

And then four hours later, we put the boys to bed at 8. And then we bought The Informant on Pay-per-view. And 10 minutes in to it, Sully woke up. And his screams woke up Will. And an hour-and-a-half later, we gave up rocking them back to sleep and let them crawl all over us in the living room until they got semi-tired. At 10, we put them to bed. At 11:00, Sully woke up again. At 11:50, I woke John up and said, "I can't get Sully back to sleep."

And now our poor little guys have colds (a good explanation for the horrible night last night), and I'm on my way to one, and I think I will call all of you to help me this week because I have a very good feeling John might be headed back to South Dakota right now.

Until tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment