Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Smoke alarms and law enforcement


Remember that cold I was telling you about Monday? Ug. It didn’t get better. Throughout the day Monday, Sully got progressively worse. He was snotty and grumbly and just all around miserable and the poor thing was exhausted when we put him to bed that night.
Oh, if only it had stayed that way.   
We put Sully down at about 7:30. I ran to the grocery store to grab milk right after he went down, and just after I stepped in the door and dropped the bags, a horrible sound filled the house.
 “What is that?” I asked running down the hall to see where it was coming from.  
Horrified, I found it was coming from a finally-sleeping Sully’s room.
The vaporizer had set off the smoke alarm.
I grabbed Sully and yelled at John, “Shut it off!” as I took a very confused Sully into the kitchen away from the noise.
“Shut it off? There aren’t any freakin’ lights in his room to see!”
Oh my. This is a whole other topic, but we have a house that was built with rooms with no lights. Sometimes, I feel like we’re in that book, that one where the town never sees light. Luckily, they have big windows, but after 7:00, we rely on two lamps because the boys knock over the floor lamps we tried to put in and lordy, lordy, it’s just not a good combination. We can talk on this later though.
Luckily, John turned the smoke alarm off in a good way. I guess there’s a button or something because when he turned it off, I didn’t hear anything. When I turn off a smoke alarm a broom is involved and usually neighbors call the police.
So, here we were. John muttering under his breath about a smoke detector and a crazy fiancé. Me cursing the fact I hadn’t left a window open, or the door, or put in a skylight before I’d turned the vaporizer on, anything that would have kept the smoke detector quiet. And poor Sully, feeling absolutely miserable.
We rocked him. We cuddled him. He coughed. He wiped his chubby fist on his face and smeared snot all over his cheeks. We cleaned his cheeks. We swapped holders once our backs said, “no more holding chubby babies!,” and finally, at 10:15, I said, that’s it, I’m putting him in the car.
After a few laps around town Sully was almost asleep. I noticed there were quite a few cops out as I drove around town. I saw lights flashing as I made a turn onto the highway and saw that one of my best friends who’s now a cop had picked someone up and I nearly scolded him because it was a Monday and everyone’s miserable on Mondays so who really wants a ticket on a Monday anyway? But, I decided I didn’t want to embarrass him since I love him so much (plus, I was going 50 miles an hour and it’s hard to scold anyone when you’re driving by them that fast).  And then, finally, Sully fell asleep.
And a cop got on my tail.
And stayed there.
And I thought, Dear Officer. If you wake a sleeping child to pull me over and ruin the 10 minutes of sanity I’ve had in 4 days, I will write you a ticket. And then I thought oh no. If he were walking to my car and I went to put my finger to my lips behind the window would he think I had a gun and be afraid of me? Okay. Now I was getting afraid of me.
Thank goodness, it was a smart officer, and I pulled into home ticket-less with a sleeping baby.
I enjoyed that for three minutes because Sully woke up as soon as we pulled him out of the car and stayed awake until 1:00 a.m. with small moments of sleep on our chest as we finally gave in to sitting down.
Yesterday we took him to the doctor. This is when we learned that one nostril running could signify he or his brother had tried to cram a peanut M&M up his nose (or any other small item, but I haven’t had much chocolate as yet today so I have chocolate on the brain). Knowing my children, I thought this was a very high possibility, so I was thankful when the doctor declared us free of M&Ms and other small objects.
Poor Sully though, he has croup.
We got steroids for him and this marks the second time my little 15-month-old has taken steroids (he had a dose in the womb to help his lungs develop since we knew they would be born early).
 Once he’s feeling better we’ve decided we’ll enter him in a weight lifting contest.
Three days from the start of that runny nose Sully’s still got a bark-like cough but is doing much, much better, and he slept through the night last night, which means John and I are doing much, much better.
Thank goodness. If anyone wants to know the brand of a very, very good smoke detector, just let me know.
Until tomorrow …

No comments:

Post a Comment