Thursday, April 29, 2010

A certain kind of love story

Okay, so when John and I met, it wasn’t like Nora Roberts was sitting there with a pen ready to capture everything in writing it was just so remarkable. We weren’t a romance novel waiting to happen.

At the risk of sounding risqué, when I met John, I lived with someone else. It was one of those things where I was trying to force a friend relationship to be a love relationship because he was nice and in the end, before
I’d even moved back to my hometown with him, I knew it wasn’t going to work. But I was stalling because I was afraid.

Meanwhile … I’d noticed this very cute boy who lived upstairs. He was just my type. He worked out. He drank beer.

What –

Did you think there would be more?

Well, there is, I just didn’t know that yet. I thought he had a cute toosh and I was still taken, so that was all for now.

A few months after noticing how cute John was, my boyfriend-at-the-time and I broke up. And I decided there was a good chance I’d be single forever. But that was okay. I thought, I will spread my wings and be silly for a while and have fun and maybe end up with 10 cats and that will be just fine.

And I surprised myself, because I really was, just fine.

For four months.

And then one night I went to work out at the apartment gym, and on my way back, sweaty and tired, I saw John coming my way and my throat closed up. I’m not the type of girl who gets really eloquent and beautiful when cute guys are around. I trip over things (literally, I’ll write about this later) and I mumble. I tried to think of something cool to say, but before I knew it, he was walking right by me and he said ―

“Good workout?” This was no doubt in reference to my beet red face and heavy breathing.

“Errrgaaaa….lala….”

Oh my God!!! Did I just say “Errrgaaaa…lala…?”

Yes. I had.

And the moment for any great eloquence had passed.

Oh. My. God.

Somehow, I summed up the courage to talk to him again a few nights later after I’d gone for a jog and he was sitting on his balcony. (I’d now thought about “Errrgaaaa….lala….” for three days and had to get beyond it).

Before I knew it, we were talking nearly every night, for just a few seconds, as I passed him on his balcony on my way to my apartment. And finally, the Friday of Mother’s Day weekend, I summed up the courage to invite him to get drinks with my girlfriend and me.

“I can’t.”

Oh great. I’ve made a fool of myself twice.

“I mean, I can’t because my mom’s in town – for Mother’s Day – and my sisters – we’re all taking my mom out to dinner.”

Huge sigh of relief. And … I’m in love.

“Oh. That’s fine. Rain check, maybe.”

“Definitely.”

So we went out for drinks a couple of week later, and I found I truly did like him. A lot.

And a few months later, I found out I truly did love him. A lot.

And a few years later, I still love him a lot, and now we have two children, who we love a lot more than a lot.

And to think … It all started with “Errrgaaaa….lala….”

Until tomorrow …

No comments:

Post a Comment