Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The NFL Draft (don't ask me anything else - I don't know)

As I started cooking dinner last night John sat down with two sheets of paper at the kitchen table and said, "I want you to fill out an NFL draft sheet, it's $5 and chances are, you'll have a good shot."

He doesn't say good shot because I know a lot about football.Or because I know anything about football, really, beyond the fact I love a good tailgate. He said it to make me feel better.

I shrugged. "Sure. Whatever." And I started cutting up asparagus.

And then he started listing names. Well I thought they were, anyway. Until I said,
"Definitely Trade."
"Who would you like to trade?"
"Um. No one. Isn't that the guy's name, Trade?"
"No. It means you can trade for another team.
"Oh. Then I don't want him. Or, I don't want to trade I mean." I added summer squash to the pan and grabbed the cream from the fridge.

"T. Williams or D. Williams?"
"Are they brothers?" I asked.
"No."
"Oh," I said, disappointed. "D., I guess."

Then he listed off a couple more names and said, "...or McCourty."
"McCourty. Is he Scottish?"
"He's African American."
"That doesn't mean he's not Scottish."
"Honey. Who do you want to pick?" he said with an exasperated sigh.
"Are you mad at me about the Scottish comment?"
"No."
"McCourty." (I still don't know much about him, but I saw some pictures and a lot of articles when I Googled him today and I feel good about it."

And then he listed a few more names, and at this point, dinner was starting to smell very good, and I didn't want to do this any more.
"...or T. Williams."
"Oh you know what? I think it would be fun to go to dinner with him."
Uh huh. John said distracted. "He and his wife probably want to have dinner with us don't you think? I said. "Well. I guess I don't know if he has a wife. But if he does, they'd probably want to be friends with us."

And John shook his head.
And I shrugged.


"Are we done now?"

"Yes," he said sighing.

I'm betting I don't win, but if I did, I would guess John still wouldn't think the money was worth the hassle of that draft pick session.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Les, This absolutely made my day! I was in Chicago last week for work and with people from offices all around the county. 3 of these guys worked with me in Cedar Rapids a couple years ago before we all decided to get out so they were use to my random comments. The others however informed me I "have no business watching or commenting on the draft". Gasp! Well, I happened to think they had no business dressing themselves like fools either but did I go there??? No. Why? because I have manners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hil you crack me up! Those boys. Tell them if they don't want a comment, then they shouldn't be talking about it! Also - if I haven't donated to your Susan G. fund by Monday harass me - I've just been waiting for my next paycheck to come in. How amazing the funds you're raising! Good work lady!!

    ReplyDelete