Monday, February 15, 2010

I'll build you a moat if you fix me breakfast

So, I'm not sure if people still have moats, but I decided I could build one today. All I need is the following recipe:
  • 7:30 bed time
  • One of my children
I've learned that I can create my own moat because every night, at 7:30, I walk, and walk, and walk in circles around my children's room. I wait for them to get sleepy. I wait until I count 100 circles. I wait for - well - what feels like - Godot.

And tonight I got to thinking. I could build someone a moat doing just this. But then, I thought, I guess there's not a big market for moats.

But let's not get side tracked.

If someone did need a moat - if someone let me sleep one night, 8 hours without interruption, I would build them a really nice moat. I'd even add the water for free.

If they made me breakfast, I would build them a drawbridge (I would probably have to hire this out, but that's okay, because I'm eating breakfast - the real kind - not the "kiss you, kiss you, grab a leftover biscuit from last night's dinner on my way out the door" kind, so no price is too high).

As I finally, put my child in his crib, I turned to leave the room and thought, if they would let me stay in the morning, and curl up with a good book, I would make them a castle.

Wow. Sleep. And breakfast. And a good book ...

And then I tripped over the baby gate on my way downstairs and bruised my hip and thought, probably, it's best if nobody trusts me with their moat building.

Damn. So close.

No comments:

Post a Comment